Tafe Directors Australia plays a vital role in Australian Training Package development. It’s CEO Jenny Dodd commented in their 7 November 2022 newsletter on the need for people to spend their money in developing Transferable Skills. I have commented to Luminous Education Australia learner cohorts on why individuals and employers must spend money and provide transferable skills training to achieve more productive work or life outcomes. Specifically, they are:
- Workers and other individuals are so focused on performing their actual task skills.
- When this technical skills are being applied, it is critical other decisions about the tasks are made.
- Other decisions when applying technical skills at work can include decisions like how to communicate with team, document issues, procure more resources, time management, quality control and so on.
In terms of Training Package development as part of current VET reforms, there is agreement that:
- One of the good things coming out of the current VET reforms is the focus on transferable skills.
- That is, what are the standards of transferable skills required for the actual task, and how the individual must demonstrate transferable skills consistently.
- This demonstration of consistency will lead to the formation of individual capabilities that can be transferred across jobs, and within an occupation
What a Breath of Fresh Air?
There are individuals and employers who have invested in our generic business diploma courses such as:
- BSB50120 Diploma of Business
- BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management
- BSB50820 Diploma of Project Management
Tafe Directors Australia as all for this change – less prescription, more transferrable skills.
That is, where we should be investing – investing in people to gain the knowledge and skills that can allow them to adapt and to demonstrate transferable skills.
So, a big tick from TDA for the current qualification reform piece that will drive occupational skills standards, enabling the development of transferable skills.